I made a goal. A few goals, in fact. One of them was to eat more fruits & vegetables.
So I made a list. A list of all the easy vegetable dishes I could think of that I might actually make – and eat. I stuck it on the fridge along with my other list. The one with the reasons I need to get healthy.
But in the midst of all this list-making, I forgot: it’s FRUITS and vegetables. Duh. This is why I can’t leave the thinking to mealtimes. And I like fruits. What’s more is my 3-year-old likes fruits, and getting vegetables into her is like, well, I don’t know what it’s like. Because it doesn’t happen.
So here is what I was able to think of to get more fruits into my day:
- Cottage cheese and canned mandarins. Yeah, you can do better than canned. But it’s fast, and it keeps.
- Keep a fruit bowl on the table. It’s easy to slice up an apple and share it around, or cut open a kiwi and scoop it out with a spoon, if it’s sitting right there in front of you.
- Buy more and more bananas until I actually have some that are old enough to make bread. This doesn’t happen very often – they get eaten too fast.
- Frozen-then-zapped berries on the greek yogurt (a nod to Katie for this one). I’ll bet this would work on the oatmeal, too.
- Apples and cheddar. Best. snack. ever.
Any other ideas?
What are your favourite fast-fruits?
image © Michael Geipel
I need to eat more vegetables. It really tells you something when I set 3 servings a day as a goal, and that this will be an improvement. If this is going to happen, I know that it needs to be easy, and I know that I need a list on the fridge so that I don’t actually have to *think* when it comes to food preparation. Here’s what I’ve got:
- roasted root vegetables, with leftovers to mix with feta & greek dressing for lunches
- sauteed spinach, mushrooms, and/or cherry tomatoes
- soup – especially this yummy lentil soup, or Magic Black Bean Soup for using up leftover veggies
- slaw stirfry (easiest stir-fry ever – packaged carrot slaw + sauce/dressing of your choice)
- oven-grilled eggplant & zucchini (so glad I figured out how to do this, now I think I can survive the winter without my BBQ)
Any other ideas?
What’s on your go-to veggie list?
image © muammerokumus
It’s oatmeal season!! And crock pot season!! This makes me very happy. Especially since it means I get to wake up to piping hot oatmeal every morning. Here’s how: Read the rest of this entry
This post has moved! Here’s where you can find a yummy recipe for Greek Yogurt Blueberry muffins:
I originally found this on All Recipes, but tweaked it a bit, to make it lower in calories and to bring out the cumin a bit more. It also makes great leftovers that you can tinker with to make it new again. Read the rest of this entry
My usual water bottle is of the straw-and-bite-valve variety. I like it for biking because you can drink one-handed without tilting your head back; which makes it work for driving as well. But I have to say I’m not fond of it for running, walking, or around-the-house drinking, it just seems like more effort than a glass. Read the rest of this entry