I made a goal. A few goals, in fact. One of them was to eat more fruits & vegetables.
So I made a list. A list of all the easy vegetable dishes I could think of that I might actually make – and eat. I stuck it on the fridge along with my other list. The one with the reasons I need to get healthy.
But in the midst of all this list-making, I forgot: it’s FRUITS and vegetables. Duh. This is why I can’t leave the thinking to mealtimes. And I like fruits. What’s more is my 3-year-old likes fruits, and getting vegetables into her is like, well, I don’t know what it’s like. Because it doesn’t happen.
So here is what I was able to think of to get more fruits into my day:
- Cottage cheese and canned mandarins. Yeah, you can do better than canned. But it’s fast, and it keeps.
- Keep a fruit bowl on the table. It’s easy to slice up an apple and share it around, or cut open a kiwi and scoop it out with a spoon, if it’s sitting right there in front of you.
- Buy more and more bananas until I actually have some that are old enough to make bread. This doesn’t happen very often – they get eaten too fast.
- Frozen-then-zapped berries on the greek yogurt (a nod to Katie for this one). I’ll bet this would work on the oatmeal, too.
- Apples and cheddar. Best. snack. ever.
Any other ideas?
What are your favourite fast-fruits?
image © Michael Geipel